Could you be saving Money and the Environment?
By: totanaliz on: Thu 20 of Dec, 2007 [12:17 UTC] (3141 reads)
We are always looking for ways to save money, and of course do our bit for the environment, so why not combine the two? There are many ways we can cut down on energy consumption that will reduce fuel bills and therefore that “carbon footprint” we hear so much about today.
Subscribe to Type-A Mom articles
- Turn your water heater down a few degrees. You won’t notice a change in temperature, but you will in cost! Also check which type of boiler you have - By fitting a new high efficiency condensing boiler with heating controls, you will significantly cut your homes C02 emissions and could save a substantial amount each year.
- Turn your thermostat down just 1 degree. This can reduce your energy consumption by 10%, and save you around around $50 every year.
- Heated Blankets. I know your granny probably had one, but there is a reason for that! It costs approximately a lot to heat a room, as apposed to a couple of cents to run a blanket each night!
- Check your Radiators. Make sure there is no furniture in front of them, absorbing or blocking the heat.
- Switch off appliances. TV’s, stereos and DVD players still use energy even when they are on standby. A mobile Phone charger still uses 25% of the energy used to charge even when it is not connected to your phone.
- Fit dimmer switches and Eco light bulbs. These light bulbs last up to 12 years, and could save you up to hundreds of dollars over their life time.
- Reduce your laundry temperature to 30 degrees. Washing at 30 instead of 60 degrees can reduce your energy consumption by 40%, and with today’s modern detergents you can still achieve the same results.
- Close your curtains! This will prevent heat from escaping from windows. Simple but effective.
So many of these tips are simple and free to implement, so why no give it a go? They may not make massive savings individually, but added together you are sure to notice the difference. Add that to the positive effect on the planet, and you can feel good all round.